All firearms have three ranges:
- Short: full damage, save for half-damage
- Medium: full damage, save for no damage
- Long: half-damage, save for no damage
Cover (and the Referee gets to decide what is Cover and what is not) makes all ranges into Long Range.
Therefore, there are two main ways to modify how aspects of a gun function: adjust the Range or adjust Cover. This allows a huge variety of mechanical ways to express various “tech-levels,” barrel lengths, calibers, accessaries, etc. For example:
- Shortening or lengthening ranges is an easy way to express the relative effectiveness of a gun. A muzzle-loader would have a much smaller range increments than a 21st century sniper rifle.
- Different saving throws (if one uses the saving throws from B/X, LL etc. instead of the “one-size fits all” approach of S&W) can be assigned to different calibers. For example: "Poison or Death" could be used for the smaller end (.32 or 9mm) and "Breath Attacks" could be used for the higher end (.50 cal) and/or shot guns.
- Armor Piercing rounds could reduce Cover to Medium Range
- Scopes could reduce ranges to Short and Medium (Medium = Short, Long = Medium)
- Sci-fi weapons like plasma guns could only have a Short Range (however long the Referee wanted the range of a plasma gun to be).
Let the world building commence!