As such, the most challenging aspect of mapping B.R.7 is going to be keying this potentially massive megadungeon. One of the ways that I improvise at the table is coming up with themes for various sections of a dungeon — based upon either the architecture, inhabitants or both. In thinking in terms of a hive city, one basic theme will be city zoning.
I took a brief look at the zoning laws of New York City this week and determined that they have three basic zones: Residential, Commercial and Industrial. Each of these has three subcategories based on population. This can be extrapolated into nine zones:
- Poor Residential (high population)
- Middle-Class Residential (medium population)
- Upper-Class Residential (low population)
- Warehouse/Storage-Commercial (low population)
- Office Space Commercial (medium population)
- Retail Commercial (high population)
- Heavy Industry (low population)
- Medium Industry (medium Population)
- Light Industry (high population)
01-03 Poor Residential (PR)From there, I intend to pull out the yellow pages, in order to make several tables to determine what each room in a zone actually contains. For example, a table for an R zone might include:
04-05 Heavy Industry (HI)
06-08 Warehouse/Storage (WS)
09-10 Medium Industry (MI)
11-12 Light Industry (LI)
13-13 Military (M)
14-15 Middle-Class Residential (MR)
16-17 Retail (R)
18-19 Offices (O)
20- 20 High-Class Residential (HR)
This roll can be modified in the following ways:
- Apply a -2 when a neighboring zone is either PR or HI.
- Apply a -1 when a neighboring zone is either WS or MI.
- Apply a +1 when a neighboring zone is either MR or R.
- Apply a +2 when a neighboring zone is either O or HR.
- Office Supply
- Luxury Items
Then I can roll to see what condition the room is in:
1 Heavily Damaged (nothing of value)This will give me a lot of information to improvise with. From there, it is only a matter of putting together several wandering monster tables to reflect territories held by various factions.
2-3 Lightly Damaged (some items of value)
4-5 Looted (in good condition but no items of value)