As one who catches at a shadow and pursues the wind, so is anyone who believes in dreams. What is seen in dreams is but a reflection, the likeness of a face looking at itself. — Sirach 34:2-3
Armor Class: 5 
Hit Dice: 2
Attacks: 2 claws (1d4+1) or 1 weapon (2d4)
Saving Throw: 15
Special: Surprise on 1-3, Shadow Magic
Challenge Level/XP: 2/30 XP or 3/60 XP
Chiata look like humanoid panthers. They tend to be solitary hunters, but it is not unknown for them to hunt in prides to take down larger game. They prefer to attack out of ambush and avoid any stand-up fight. When fighting a group, they use hit-and-run tactics — they attempt to isolate members of the group in order to get easier kills. Chiata can see in any kind of darkness and surprise on a 1-3.
Chiati leaders all have shadow magic. On a roll of 1-2 on a d6, any Chiata encountered have one or more of the following abilities:
- Darkness 30' r.
- Shadow Shapes — functions as a Phantasmal Force spell.
- Summon Shadowspawn — summons d6 creatures with 1/2HD. This can be done once per encounter.
- Summon Shadowspawn — summons d3 creatures with 1HD. This can be done once per encounter.
- Summon Shadow Sword — create a weapon out of shadow that functions as a +1 magic weapon. Once formed, the weapon is permanent until dispelled or exposed to sunlight, when it is immediately destroyed. Only one weapon can be summoned at a time.
- Summon Shadow Armor — create a suit of +1 magical chainmail. This improves the AC of a Chiata to AC3. Once formed, the armor is permanent until dispelled or exposed to sunlight, when it is immediately destroyed. Only one suit can be summoned at a time.